I developed Sugar Plum Fairy Liqueur after a friend shared a basket of plums with me. Her tree was producing heavily that year. We both were unsure how to preserve the harvest. After a few batches of chutney and jam, I still had a bowl of plums staring at me defiantly. I chucked them in a gallon jar with spices and booze and behold! I had a new holiday beverage.
This version is much easier than the original recipe. I added the orange after the 2nd year. It balances the spices nicely. It eliminates a number of steps that I had to take to get to a similar flavor. I hope you enjoy the results as much as I do. This liqueur is simply amazing when mixed in equal parts with tonic water or ginger ale. Remember to save some for gifts. It is a hit.
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 8 Italian plums (quartered and pitted)
- 2 cups vodka
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 orange (quartered with the peel)
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Add all the ingredients to a large jar (2 quart or bigger). Screw on lid tightly.
- Label jar with name of recipe and date batch is started.
- Shake jar vigorously and place in a temperature controlled area away from light.
- The next day turn the jar upside down so the jar is sitting on its lid. (See why you should screw the lid down tightly?)
- The following day, invert jar again.
- Repeat this procedure every day for 3 months, turning the jar so the ingredients slowly filter from the top of the jar to the bottom of the jar.
- At the end of 3 months, strain the ingredients through a cheesecloth.
- Let the remaining liquid sit in a covered container overnight.
- Strain the remaining liquid a 2nd time.
- Bottle your Sugar Plum Fairy Liqueur and enjoy!