Podcast Show 131: Herb Lab – Dr. Michael Tierra – Kratom on Trial
Kratom is making headlines as both a natural and safe pain reliever AND as a targeted and dangerous herb. After centuries of use in Asia, kratom is just one more herb to join the ranks of analgesic herbs to draw the government’s scrutiny. Those that use this plant as an alternative to addictive prescription pain killers are growing increasingly worried that it will become banned by the FDA and DEA leaving patients helpless in the wake of the opioid epidemic.
CO-hosts Sue, Candace and Patrick reflect on their interview with Michael Tierra D.O.M., L.A.c., who has been using kratom to help his patients successfully over the years. They bring more information to light as we try to navigate the stormy seas of pain management in America. How will kratom weather this storm?
Be sure to visit the Practical Herbalist website for recipes and further information on the herbs discussed in this podcast. Real Herbalism Radio podcast show notes always include a list of links or go to www.thepracticalherbalist.com and use the handy search engine at the top of the page.
- NPR: Jump in Overdoses Show Opioid Epidemic has Worsened
- Dr. Chris McCurdy Interview by David Kroll : Forbes magazine
- Playboy: Drug that Scares the Government for All the Wrong Reasons
- New York Times: How to Win a War on Drugs
- Kratom Podcast
- Planetary Herbals
- East/West School of Planetary Herbology
- American Kratom Association