Mullein’s soft leaves and strong, tall second-year stalks have forever connected this respiratory herb with the Faerie Realm and swordplay. Who hasn’t used an old Mullein stalk as a sword when chasing about the field as a kid?
Play aside, Mullein is a powerful soother for lungs and respiratory health as well as skin irritations and swollen joints. Mullein’s anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties alongside it’s mucilaginous nature make it a perfect partner for a lot of irritations.
If you’re Wildcrafting Mulllein, use the second-year flowers for salves, teas, and liniments. The first-year leaves are the favorites for most herbalists for lung health use, including as tea, tincture, and in smoking blends. Most importantly, though, be sure you’ve properly identified Mullein. Once you know this soft beauty, you won’t mistake it for Foxglove, but be aware that deadly Foxglove is one of Mullein’s look-alikes.
Use Mullein in home remedies for:
- Rashes, inflammation, bug bites (topical tea or oil)
- Ear Aches (oil)
- Depression (most often taken as tea)
- Flu/colds/viruses with cough and dry, irritated respiratory system (tea)
- Rheumtoid arthritis, gout, and other swollen joint conditions
Learn more about Mullein in the garden, as an herbal remedy, and best harvest practices with these curated resources.
Herbal Nerd Society Articles
- This is Mullein, Verbascum thapsus
- Antimicrobial Properties of Mullein and Other Verbascum Species
- Mucilage in Mullein for Dry Coughs – How It Works
- Breath Deep with Cough Reducing Mullein
- Mullein Energetics with Christina Sanchez
- Formulating with Chamomile (using Mullein as a partner)
- Lobelia Energetics (using Mullein as a partner for allergies)
- 199: Grow Your Own Herbal Remedies with Maria Noël Groves
- 198.Lung Health with Maria Noël Groves
- 145: Herb Lab – Jason Scott and the Doctrine of Signatures
- 208.Best Herbs for Disaster with Jimmy Betts
- 195.Summer Vacation Herbalism
- 174.Herbalist at the Border with Jamie Scepkowski
- 145.Herb Lab – Doctrine of Signatures, Allergies, Herbal Careers
- 116.Beauty from the Desert with Christina Sanchez
- 76.Flea Control Done the Natural Way
- 57.Herb Lab with Anna Rosa’s Formulas