Zucchini bread is the blessing of summer. It is a quick and filling breakfast as well as satisfying dessert. My problem with most zucchini bread recipes is that they are too sweet, too dry or too nutty. I like the flavor of nuts but the texture doesn’t combine well with the a good sweet bread. This recipe uses ground flax seed (or hemp hearts) to fix this issue. The rice flour can be substituted for wheat flour but again, this is a texture issue. I prefer the rice flour as a solid base with the thickness of the wheat flour. Molasses imparts sweetness while bringing out the warmth of the spices.
Keep in mind that although there are healthy items in this zucchini bread, this is a treat. It is healthier than other recipes but it designed that way for flavor. I am not trying to fool any one into thinking that they are baking this recipe for their health. It is just good food. Enjoy!
Need to feed vegans? Just substitute egg replacer for eggs. Easy!
- 3 cups of grated zucchini (2 medium squash)
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 eggs or equivalent egg replacer
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed or hulled hemp hearts
- liquid measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- bread pans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 loaf pans thoroughly.
- Grate the zucchini.
- Mix the zucchini, sugar, vanilla and molasses together in a bowl.
- Mix in the eggs, applesauce and oil.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. No lumps.
- Pour the bread mixture into the greased bread pans.
- Place the loaf pans in the preheated oven.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
- Take the bread out of the oven and serve once it has cooled.
Storage and Use
Any sweet bread can sit over night with a problem but they should be refrigerated to prevent spoilage if kept out for more than 2 days.
Freeze extra grated squash for a winter zucchini bread.