This Tofu Scramble will bring zing to your fajitas, burritos or taco salad. The bolder palette may use it as a substitution for scrambled eggs.
It makes about 4 servings.
- 1/2 pound firm tofu diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon seasoned olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh Crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green peppers
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 dash (or 2) of cayenne pepper
- Marinade the diced tofu in the soy sauce and set it aside.
- Warm the oil in the skillet at medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and onions.
- When the onions are just browning, stir the turmeric, oregano and basil into the marinating tofu.
- Add the tofu mixture to the skillet.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the skillet.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly heated, stir in the salsa and chopped peppers.
- Let the scramble heat for 2 minutes, until the salsa and chopped peppers are thoroughly heated.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and serve your dish hot over beans and rice or stuff it in a burrito shell with cheese, fresh tomatoes and greens.
Storage and Use
All fried vegetables are best eaten hot from the stove. Leftovers may be stored in a covered container up to one week in the refrigerator to reheat later.