After the flu or colds have hit a household, viruses can still linger in nooks and crannies. A stagnant odor in the air seems to permeate everything the flu suffer has touched. Fortunately, nature has provided 3 lovely flowers to take care of this problem. Lavender and Yarrow are sweet smelling anti-bacterial and antiviral botanicals and Rose is a soothing astringent that softens the sharp edge of its companions. This recipe has two purposes; to clean the air and the walls or counters in question. The process described is for serious cleaning. Don’t let the lovely name fool you, this mixture is powerful.
- 2 parts dried yarrow
- 1 part dried lavender flowers
- 2 parts dried rose petals
- Four Thieves Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 spoon
- a resealable 2 quart container for extra dried mix
- a label
- 1 cooking pot
- 1 strainer
- 1 mop bucket
- 2 rags (1 wet rag for scrubbing, 1 dry rag for wiping)
Make the Herbal Blend
- Pour the dried herbs into the mixing bowl and gently stir them with a spoon. Try not to break up the plant parts since this will release the essential oils.
- Pour the mix into a resealable container.
- Label the container with the name of the mix, ingredients and date mixed.
Make the Cleanser
- Start 2 cups of water boiling in the cooking pot.
- Pour 1/2 cup of Three Flower Surface Cleanser Mix into the water.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer so the air is filled with the medicinal essential oils.
- Once the water has boiled down to almost 1 cup, remove the mixture from the stove to cool.
- Strain the cooled mixture into a mop bucket and add 1 gallon of hot water and 1/4 cup of Four Thieves Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Stir the mixture for use.
- Scrub the area in question with a rag soaked in the warm herbal mix and then wipe off moisture with the extra dry rag.
- Once the area is clean, the remaining water is safe to flush into septic systems or pour onto compost piles unless the surfaces you scrubbed or the liquid contacted are painted with lead paint. (Save cleaning the toilet for last if you choose to pour the used mop bucket water in the toilet bowl.)
- Cat owners: Cats don’t like the smell of the lavender in 3 Flower Surface Cleaner so section off an area for the cats to hide while you clean the rest of the house. Once the first area is dry and aerated, shoo out the cats and clean this area second.
Storage and Use
Store your Three Flower Mix in a properly sealed and labeled jar. If fresh ingredients are used, the mixture must be used immediately to prevent spoilage.