My boy and I have tried many, many cocoa and hot chocolate recipes. This one is one of my favorite not only because it tastes terrific. The ingredients are common and pretty darn cheap. I love affordable luxury, and Mom’s Favorite Cocoa Blend is exactly that.
- 4 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
- 8 oz. Cocoa (approx. 12 Tbsp.)
- 0.5 cup packed or about 3-4 oz. Brown sugar
- Food processor or cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Scale (optional)
- Seal-able jar, like a glass canning jar
- Label and pen
- Chop the chocolate bar into the finest pieces you can and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Measure the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl.
- Carefully mix them together well.
- Pour the mixture into a seal-able glass jar
- Label your mix.
Storage and Use
Add three tablespoons of this cocoa blend into a mug with a few tablespoons of milk or soymilk. Stir until it becomes a paste. Add milk or soymilk to fill the mug and heat it in the microwave. Or, if you’re fancy, you can froth it with a milk frother or the steamer attachment on your espresso machine. If you’re more traditionally minded, you can heat it on the stove top or over a fire until it’s ready. However you do it, be sure to take the time to enjoy the luxury!
This cocoa mix stores well in the pantry. It doesn’t last long in my household as we adults drink a lot of cocoa. Probably, it’ll store well for as long as regular baking chocolate, cocoa, and sugar do for less indulgent folk–a year or more.