This is a terrific spring to midsummer smoothie, when the berries are in season. We usually freeze as many strawberries and blueberries as we can so we can make it in midwinter, too. It’s chock full of vitamins and tastes oh-so-delicious.
This recipe makes approximately two 10 ounce servings.
- 1 cup Strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp. Nettle leaf, dried or frozen
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp. Flax seed
- 1 tsp Maca powder or 1 cup yogurt (or both)
- 2 Tbsp honey or 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- A blender
- measuring spoons and cups
- a spice grinder or blender (to grind the nettle leaf and flax seed to a powder)
- Grind the nettle leaf and flax seed to a powder in the spice grinder.
- Add all ingredients to the blender.
- Blend until smooth, adding water if the consistency is too thick, or more yogurt or maca powder if the consistency is to thin.
- Pour your smoothie into a cup and enjoy!
Storage and Use
Herbal Vitamin Smoothies should ideally be consumed immediately but I like to store mine in a labelled canning jar to drink at lunch or snacktime.
Soy protein powder can also used instead of Maca powder.
Do you take a few droppers full of tincture or glycerite every day? This is a good mixture to add your daily herbal supplement to while it’s blending.