Autumn comes to the garden faster than than my poor tomato plants can tolerate. This recipe was the result of frustrated attempts to make a spicy dip with my neglected tomatoes that would never enjoy the blush of ripeness. The cherry or pear tomatoes add a sweet flavor that balances the spark of the pepper and onion.
This salsa has fire. It is not for the faint of heart. It may be toned down by substituting red or purple onions for the white onion or adding 1/4 cup diced cucumber. The pepper could be bell pepper if your tastes run very mild. Try our Green Tomato Chili recipe for a mellow, vegan taste of the South.
- 1 cup chopped green tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped red tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry or pear tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 diced hot pepper (The hotter the pepper; the hotter the salsa.)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Chop tomatoes and mix lightly.
- Dice onion and pepper.
- Mince garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients to tomato mixture and serve fresh.
Storage and Use
Leftover or remaining recipe must be refrigerated.