Deviled eggs are a springtime favorite at The Practical Herbalist. The chickens are laying regularly and the sage has produced spicy new leaves that are difficult to resist. This recipe was made with herbal vinegar infused with sage and agrimony but basil or rosemary vinegar would work just as well. Most people sprinkle their eggs with paprika but the buttery flavor of turmeric compliments the sage much better.
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon herb infused apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- turmeric for dusting
- small bowl
- fork or small potato masher
- plate of platter for serving
- Peel hard boiled eggs.
- Slice hard boiled eggs carefully in half lengthwise.
- Remove yolks with a spoon and place in small bowl. Set egg whites aside.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash egg yolks until they are no longer lumpy.
- Blend mayonnaise, vinegar, sage and oregano with egg yolks.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Spoon egg yolk mixture back into egg white hollows.
- Sprinkle top of eggs with turmeric.
Storage and Use
Leftover or remaining deviled eggs must be wrapped and refrigerated.