Granola is a health food favorite mixed and hot from the oven in 30 minutes. Most commercial brands are surprisingly high in fat. This recipe needs very little oil to keep the granola chewy. The cranberries help keep the urinary tract in balance as well as providing antioxidants. Golden raisins have a softer taste than black raisins which compliments the cranberry flavor nicely.
Grade B maple syrup is a little more expensive than other maple syrup types but the flavor and nutritional value are well worth the extra money.
Flax seeds offer a satisfying crunch high in Omega 3. Seasoned vegetarians like myself are always on the look out for clever ways to add more of this essential nutrient to our diets.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons milled flax seeds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix honey, maple syrup and oil in a small saucepan on the stove on medium/low heat until warm.
- Stir wet ingredients thoroughly with dry ingredients.
- Spread granola evenly on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes taking it out 3 or 4 times to stir the mixture to be certain it is thoroughly heated.
- Cool the finished granola before serving.
Storage and Use
This granola must be stored in an airtight container to prevent it getting stale.